Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Up Up and Away

So here we are once again the Dirty Lew has something exciting to offer. The Great Falls Balloon Festival. Its usually the week of Aug 16-18. I have recently moved to the AUBURN area I want to make sure you all understand its AUBURN and not Lewiston..I had never been to the festival never even heard of it when I was living in the greater Portland area. Friday morning I'm drinking my coffee out on the deck and a giant balloon just appears floating over our house.

I Screamed like a four year old and then went and got my actual four year to check it out. We stood out on the lawn for over an hour as they launched over 20 different balloons my daughter screaming at the top of her lungs at every one, waking the neighbors, who had seen this every year for the last 15 years or so my point being they were not impressed. I'm not gonna lie it was pretty magical, one even touched down right in the river behind our house and was so close we could say good morning to them. So naturally after experiencing this whimsical sight we HAD to check out the festival its self. I convinced some of my "City friends" to come on up and part take in the festivities. I warned them it was Lewiston and to mentally prepare themselves for well...Lewiston. They reassured me that they use to live in DC they have seen the ghetto they are not going to freak out or be scared.  We had to walk past the projects to get to the park where the festival was. I believe it was when we saw a mom doing a drug deal with a baby on her hip that my friend turned to me and was like "Well there are some characters up here". Anyway I'm getting side tracked, the festival was in two different parks one side had the classic fair type food (Although no Corn Dogs which I was not impressed about it) they had live music, craft vendors, and an actual balloon that they had half blown up on its side so that you could walk inside. I thought that was pretty cool, and really slippery, oh and about 101 degrees. The kids loved it they threw about beach balls and

rolled around. We decided to walk out to the old railroad bridge to watch the balloons go up cause there was so many people on the field. If you know anything about my family we all pretty much had instant anxiety attacks and needed to find a happy place ASAP. We had a nice view actually and got some pretty interesting shots of the balloons. We headed back to the field after a bit and they had some of this years signature balloons tethered and they Were freaking HUGE!! We ended the night by paying a ridiculous about of money for our daughter to ride some sketchy carny rides that she just loved. All in all The festival is pretty cool and I recommend checking it out at least once in your life time for the balloons alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment