Monday, September 2, 2013

The Dirty Lew's Best kept Secret.

Quick I'm going to say a word... Lewiston. What's the first word that comes to mind? I'm sure its not beautiful nature walk park. Well hold on to your hats cause I found a place in the dirty Lew that makes you feel like you are miles away from the city. Its called Thorncrag bird sanctuary, Its located at the end of Highland Spring Rd, in Lewiston. Its a 372 acre wildlife preserve where you can do bird watching, picnicking, hiking, walking, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, sledding, skating, and   nature photography.

 I wasn't really sure what to accept when I first heard about it cause lets be real its Lewiston. Not that there is anything wrong with living in Lewiston. Anyway we pull in and its seriously a little secluded area off the beaten path. We didn't really know where all the trails went, but word on the street was that straight up the yellow trail was a cool fireplace to check out. We had liv with us so thought it would be cool to go check out this fireplace. The yellow trail was wide and cleared and there was a really cute rock bench along the way to take a break if needed. It was 1/2 mile from base to the fireplace the incline wasn't to bad either, we did stop and take a break on the cool rock bench though cause we had liv and she was being a drama queen about walking. Once we got to the fireplace it was really cool. Kind of in the middle of a field was this giant fireplace with three rock benches surrounding it. It would be an awesome place to have a camp fire maybe sing some kum- bya make some smore's. Livy really loved climbing on the rock benches she thought it was the greatest thing.
We found a caterpillar, well several caterpillars which were a big hit. Livy tried to feed it a leaf and in the process and gave it a heart attack that it pooped all over the rock. We saw spiders and other weird bugs, but Let me tell ya.. We did not see any birds we heard them everywhere but didn't actually see any.  Probably cause we were so loud :) On the way down me and Liv ran the whole way. She started freaking out about having to walk back so I just took off jogging. Well me running down a hill was like that Giant rock ball in Indiana jones, once I got going I could stop or I probably would of broke my legs. We made it down that hill in like 5mins and had a great nap afterward.
 Later in the month on one of those weekends that my mother in-law had our daughter the husband and I went back to have a day date hike and hike around the whole place. It was probably over 3 miles of walking by the end of it. We walked up to the very top where WHALE ROCK is. It was kind of a disappointment for one it did not look like a whale, and for two it wasn't even that big, but it had a nice view and a nice quiet place to have a sandwich. I recommend if your in the area to check it out.

 PS NO BATHROOM THOUGH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment